Team Salty

Thursday, August 5, 2010

This blog is a Social INjustice!

The use of technology in a classroom where outside access is an issue could make instructing a class a little difficult. I would want to give every student an equal chance to do their assignments, but if those assignments require the use of technology that they can not access at home then some will be at a complete disadvantage or possibly won’t even be able to complete the assignment at all. While I think this is really unfair, I also think that’s how life is, unfair. Someone might not have the same easy accessibility as another, but there are usually many different methods and tactics to get a job done. Knowing and being able to get that task done in possibly an unconventional way in its own right is an excellent skill to possess.

I think avoiding the use of technology because all students won’t have the same kind of access is totally a disservice to the rest of a class. As the article had stated kids going to school now will most likely have jobs that will require the use of technology. If we as teachers omit technology from the classroom we will be leaving a large gap in their educations if the goal is to have our students become functional working adults. Without the knowledge and experience of using technology in the classroom we are only partially training and educating our students.

I think there are many ways in which we can increase the access of technology to students that may not have a ready availability to it. The simplest way I think is to give those students a guide or map of places near to them that can provide them with tools of technology. Libraries, community centers, college campuses, etc. could all provide free use of technology to some students that need those resources. Another method would be providing extra time to disadvantaged students during or after class to use the school’s technology. Although pretty generic I don’t think there is much I would ask of my students that these two solutions could not solve.

To think outside of the “box”, I might pursue some help from local businesses around the community. I know form experience that HP in Vancouver has been very gracious and has helped many schools by donating old computers and printers. I’m sure they could possibly be getting some tax breaks both I think in the end both parties end up winning. I’m not sure what kind of school policies or district policies you would have to go through but I’m sure many companies around our schools would be more then happy to provide the schools with technology or access to it.

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you on getting the job done, even using unconventional methods if required. I once heard that people will often claim they were unsuccessful because they lacked a resource of some type when it was really their lack of resourcefulness that did them in.

    A few resources you might want to add to your list are the hotel lobbies with internet access and the occasional printer as well as the Apple Store. If we had to, we could have completed this entire class from the showroom of the Apple Store at Pioneer Square in downtown Portland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seeking out resources is so important, especially now with all of the budget constraints. Many businesses are willing to help schools out!

    ReplyDelete